Saturday, February 12, 2011

I brought the horses back for the first time in about a month. It is good to have them home plus I have a lot of work for them to do around here. The temp is suppose to be around 35 to 40 the next few days so I will be dragging the drive way because it will be turning to slush . Winter is long up here but it always seems like it is short as far as work goes, there is always lots of work to get done before break up. Every logger I know is working as much as possible because we all know in the middle of March the road bands go on know matter what the weather is doing. Most years by mid March we get some warm weather and it gets sloppy and muddy but it always gets cold again and frezzis back up infact most time it will turn bellow zero again for a week or to at least in the mornings .
 One of the best thing about the horses is that it lengthen the amount of work time you have every year. You can always get back into the woods before the big machines can and you can always work a little longer than they can. These horses are the most flexible source of producing wood that I have ever found. Even the small tractors do not compare , some are ok just not as good. Horses are the way to manage these small wood lots and if they could change some of the insurance laws and employment laws I could give the big boys a run on the the big  pieces as well. These laws are crippling to us small businesses , it is the hardest thing I have to deal with fare and above anything else that I have ever come up against . I have enough work a head of me to hire a large crew but the laws will not allow it .  

2 comments:

  1. The hindrance stemming from laws and insurance seems to be the prevalent content of most of your posts. I am in the planning stage of starting my own small business similar in concept to your own, and would be very interested in any specific details or resources available concerning these issues.
    Thanks,
    J.W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JW.
    First of all good luck with you venture, it is a life style not just a job. I love what I do and that makes it all worth it.
    As you start and time goes on you will see that the cards are stacked against you as a small operator. Your insurance costs will be as much as the large operations that deal in volume. It will depend on which state you are planning on operating in but the odds are this will be one of your biggest hurtles. The work comp laws in WI are impossible to overcome if you are going to be honest and operate on the up an up. I have way more work than I can do and it is impossible for me to hire any one due to the laws and regulations. I have to carry the same liability as someone with a million dollars worth of equipment. Check you states laws and see what they have to say on the subject , it will vary from state to state. Taylor Johnson

    ReplyDelete