Thursday, February 3, 2011

February 3, 2011

  Today was to windy to fall timber.. or even skid it really. I fixed things on the landing, looked at another job that I have to do, down the road a bit, to see were to put in a road, and took an evener that I had broke earlier in the week to be fixed. On my way home I talked to an old logger that use to work for me years ago and he told me an old saying that I had heard him say before  "The man that cuts on a windy day does not live to spend his pay."  This guy is like a lot of other old loggers I know, he just wants a few more years in the woods, a few more days to drop trees, and a few more times to feel tired and to walk back to the truck at the end of the day smelling of sweat, saw-dust and chain oil .... why do we love this so much? Most people that spend just a few days doing what a logger does would think we are fools for wanting this, but few that do it for any amount of time ever quit and if they do, it is when they can not do it any more from injury or plain old age. I am thankful that I have my days in the woods to look forward to and can not bear the thought of when my time in the woods is done and I am  just wishing I was there.  Taylor Johnson 

Bob "Uncle Bob" Netta and my daughter, Nettie Sue - 2005


No comments:

Post a Comment